Things Don’t Always Go As Planned: Sedona

One thing that’s guaranteed when traveling is that things won’t always go as planned. In this blog series, I will be sharing some of those times when this happened and how we handled it. Some may be humorous, some may be gross, but we always make the best of it. By sharing these stories, I hope to lessen anyone’s worries about traveling with little ones and that, no matter what, you will be creating some memories that’ll last a lifetime!

One of the beautiful sights on the ride to Sedona, that I slept through

When we planned our trip out to Arizona, my husband went on and on about how beautiful he read Sedona was. I never heard much about it prior, but was excited to see what it was all about. We had plans to stop along the way at some of the well known red rocks, had a fun place picked out for lunch, and an art village to explore.

Well, it didn’t exactly go as planned…

Follow us on social media. Instagram: derodestinations Facebook: DeRo Destinations YouTube: Destination DeRo Twitter: derodestination

The night before we headed to Sedona, we were in Scottsdale. We enjoyed the waterfront, a nice dinner, and dessert. It was a beautiful summer night and so relaxing.

When we got back to the hotel, I started packing up and getting ready to hit the road in the morning. Then, I started to get tight knots in my stomach. It hurt so much so, that I had to lay down and leave the rest of the packing until the morning, in hopes of feeling better.

In Sedona. Beautiful scenery, but I was sick as a dog.

To my dismay, I did not feel any better the next morning. I sucked it up and did what I had to do. We got on the road, but had to stop at the grocery story for some odds and ends. I sent my husband and son in the store and stayed in the car with my daughter. While waiting, I continued to feel worse and worse, until I threw up. Sorry, TMI, but it’s what happened. You really should feel bad for anyone that came upon it in the parking lot 😦

The ride was something my husband and I were looking forward to, as there was tons of beautiful views along the way. From what my husband says, it was beautiful. I have to take is word for it because I slept for about 90% of the trip. The other 10% was spent pulling over to get sick.

Want to know what’s not fun for someone with food poisoning while on a road trip? ROUNDABOUTS! To get to Sedona, we had to go around (what felt like) a thousand or so roundabouts. With each one, my stomach flipped.

Tlaquepaque Art Village is a great place to stop, when visiting Sedona. There are some beautiful shops.

One of the unexpected stops along our trip was to a pharmacy, to pick up some gatorade and saltines. Instead of where we were originally stopping lunch, which would’ve meant more torturous time in the car, we stopped at a Panera-like place to eat. I sat there, looking a mess, and staring into space, as everyone enjoyed their food.

After that, we stopped at the art village. As my family explored, I spent most of the time, on a bench, clinging onto my Gatorade and hoping it stays down. It was a short lived visit.

This hotel was originally intended to be a place just to rest our head. Little did we realize we’d be spending an entire evening and night in there, watching TV.

We finished the rest of our road trip that day and stopped in Flagstaff, AZ, for the night, as planned. Once again, dinner and night plans were completely changed. Rather than going out to check Flagstaff, we stayed in the room, watched TV, and ordered in pizza. And you know what? Our kids were SO happy to just chill.

Thankully, I woke up the next day feeling like a new person, literally. Whatever it was passed and I felt normal. And, the best part, was that no one else got sick!

This leg of our journey was nothing like we had planned. This is exactly why I always like to have a loose plan for vacations. Nothing too regimented and always have wiggle room for anything unexpected that may come up.

And the lesson is…

We rolled with it that day and, besides me being sick, it was still a great family day. The downtime at the hotel in Flagstaff ended up being much needed time for all of us to recharge our batteries. And, I can guarantee everyone in our family will remember this day!

Always expect the unexpected and enjoy the ride! Happy travels. πŸ™‚

Planning a Disney vacation? Contact me at Nicole@MagicalMouseTravel.com for all Disney travel needs!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.